Monday, June 05, 2006

Academic Aesthetic Podcast 66

In this podcast I play with RSS feeds.

A while back I ran into a problem. I'm sure you've had it too, but I'll tell you about it anyway.

I came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough RSS feeds in my aggregator.

(Ok, I'm assuming that most of you know what an aggregator is since there's a good chance you're using one right now to see this. An RSS aggregator checks blogs for you so you don't have to. Check out Bloglines - that one's my favorite.)

I came to the decision that I wasn't subscribed to enough stuff because I had gone a whole hour without something new being posted. This was a travesty, so I had to do something about it.

Lucky for me, blogs aren't the only things with RSS feeds. News sites will often include them as well. The best sites are ones like Yahoo! News and Google News, which collect stories from a variety of sources for you. Since they're run by search engines, you can also customize your news to fit your own tastes.

The first thing I did was head to Google News and do a search for "education." Tada! Every recent story that mentioned education was now there in my browser window.

But I didn't stop there. Looking over on the left hand side I found a little link that said "RSS." I copied that link into my Bloglines account, and I instantly had more things to read every day than I had time to check out.

Perhaps I should have narrowed it with some other key words? Oh well, I'm too lazy to change it.

My laziness was in this case a good thing, because now I'm getting a much larger view of education. Just a quick glance at the datelines right now is showing me education stories out of Singapore, Moscow, Santiago, Dubai, and more.

Looks like Google News knows the world is flat when it comes to tech.

No comments: